McCreary, Manitoba, Canada
The Ski and Maple Syrup Capital of Manitoba
1. OUR LADY OF THE NATIVITY CATHOLIC CHURCH
Built in 1905 by Peter McIntyre from lumber from the surrounding forests
under a $1,000 loan from St. Boniface. Midnight Mass, Christmas 1905
1920. Exterior renovations have taken place since, leaving the enterior
basically unchanged. Services have been held continuously since the
2. 411 FIRST AVENUE
Former "McCreary House", a stopping house built in 1903 by Robert McLean to
accommodate, as a boarding house, travellers along the Burrows Trail and the
railway close by. For many years after becoming the private home of the Cantin
family, the long-time owners would arise to find a travelling stranger bedded down
in the front room, unaware that it no longer was a public accommodation. Recent
exterior changes are the removal of the veranda and new siding.
The first taxidermy college to receive Canadian registration, this site has trained Canadian Taxidermy
students from the Atlantic to the Pacific in seven intense weeks conducted quarterly. Opened in 1993 in
this area rich in wildlife diversity and a sportsman's paradise, the College introduces Canada to
McCreary. The building is now Gill & Schmall Agencies, and the Taxidermy College is now located one
street over to the south, on PTH#50. The building in the picture is now an Insurance Agency/Sears
4. RAILWAY STATION
Built in 1912 as a Third Class station designed to accommodate the agent and his family and
operational to 1982. Agents were expected to utilize the adjoining garden spot and to become an
integral part of the community. The building was designated in 1991 as a heritage building and
purchased in 1997 for use as a Museum. The large baggage shed received outgoing cream cans and
egg crates and incoming freight mail. Cordwood cut in the surrounding forests was a heavy export. This
was the pioneer's first welcome to McCreary, then just an opening in the forest.
5. CANAL SCHOOL
As an original one-room school house, Canal was built on SE 12-21-15 in 1918. Upon closure in
the Museum complex in 1997 the building continues to undergo restoration.
A 1920 storefront built by Dr. Leith as an office and attached drug store.
Later housing two other businesses, a shoe/harness repair shop in the east and a butcher shop in the
west half. Later a jewelery store occupied the east half for half a century. The preserved interior used to
house a drafting business, and in 2002 it held a craft & tea house.
7. 611 BURROWS ROAD
Built in 1904, featuring a tin stencilled wall and ceiling panels. The elevated central portion used as a
general store since opening. South third housed a classroom in 1910-1917, then later a restaurant before
restoration to store use. The northern third housed a dry goods store until mid-1960. The grocery store
closed in 2008, and in 2010 it was re-opened as an Antique store, that is still open today.
8. 617 BURROWS ROAD
Built in 1911 as a hardware store until 1977. Closed for 17 years, the building had rebirth as a sound,
serviceable recycling centre.
9. 325 SECOND AVENUE
Built in 1914 for use as a private home. The exterior was applied in have been done over the years. On
the ridge to the west of the house was the Burrows Trail.